Pages

04 October 2010

Flavors that Take Me Back

Ok. So, I feel like I have a little confession to make.

Food is important to me. Not just any food, but the flavors from home.

 I knew this was the case for most of my life, but a deeper realization came when I moved to Hungary. It's not so much the food, but the emotion and sentiment that my family has tied to food. I am sure this is the case for many families out there, but often our holidays and family moments involve a big meal with our favorite flavors.

I have discovered that Fall becomes a somewhat melacholy time for me. Partly because the business of the summer has past and the slower pace of the year has come. And partly because, well frankly, Hungarians don't partake in some of my favorite Fall flavors. Fall to me always means apples and apple cider, pumpkins and pumpkin pie, caramels, toffees, and sweet spices galore. But I find this country to be a little lacking. I try to make up the difference by baking apple dumplings and drinking warm coffee drinks, but I get a little sad knowing canned pumpkin and sweet potatoes are not to be had (except at great financial cost, lol). To make matters worse, November brings the ultimate in Fall flavors and the pinnacle of family food festivities - Thanksgiving.

Sigh. So...tonight I caved. I took the No. 7 bus 15 minutes into the city to Coffee Heaven. I splurged on an overpriced mocha and the most decadent Caramel Toffee Brownie Pillar. Mmmmm. It was delicious. For a moment, it was almost like home...well....except for the bumpy bus ride.

Sweet dreams,
Corinne

2 comments:

Julie said...

i know exactly how you feel and it doesn't help that it gets dark here super early!!!

I wanted to let you know you can get Libby pumpkin in a can at Culinaris for only 700 forint or less I think, maybe it was 500 and something. Really affordable I think, not compared to 99 cents in the states, but it isn't outrageous, I am just so thankful you can get them and I just made some pumpkin cake, yum

also at Ikea in their food section there are some candies that are just like toffee. I am going to try to melt those and see if I can attempt at candy apples... not sure if it will work, but we can try... right!??!?

hugs

The Longs said...

Thanks, Julie, for all the good info! I knew I had seen the pumpkin at Culinaris, but haven't been recently, so I wasn't sure how much it cost. Last fall, we tried the pumpkin squash as a substitute, but I wasn't impressed :) I am definitely investing in the real thing this year.

Also, I just found yesterday at Aldi some Werther's soft caramels! I bought a bunch so I can do some treats too.

C